Click the comment link below to answer these questions. Remember to include either your initials or your first name and last initial.
How are you going to change your instructional practices to make reading more accessible to your students?
What further professional development do you need to make reading for your subject area more accessible to your students?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Zultevicz
ReplyDeleteHow are you going to change your instructional practices to make reading more accessible to your students?
I am going to concentrate on giving my students choices on different instruction - like the text set that we came up with today. They have ownership in what they are learning and it is easier to relate to their lives by using contemporary materials.
What further professional development do you need to make reading for your subject area more accessible to your students?
I think that the materials and instructiion provided by our specialists here at FCHS are really fantatastic - they have given us a great base on how to begin this process in our classrooms. I think further development with our coaches is more useful than any conference or class at the Shultz center because we have the opportunity to work and share with our PLC members our ideas.
The administrators met and discussed how to imnplement reading strategies in the ISSP program. We planned the format and brainstormed ideas to make ISSP be a learning situation and character building activity rather than an WOT.I feel good about implementing what we learned today.
ReplyDeleteI need refresher instruction in RAFT, SCUBA and BIG FOX and TEA PARTY
I will take more time with front-loading varios activities. I will also make sure all students use all three stategies.
ReplyDeleteNM
I will use more graphic organizers and do more previewing to activate prior knowledge. I would like to know more about integrating technology into reading.
ReplyDeleteMJS
I agree with what Mary said about giving students choices in reading. This does take more planning and time to implement, but these practices will pay off. I will also take more time to introduce new works to students so they gain interest and become more involved.
ReplyDeleteI would like to know more about tea party and text rendering discussion/writing.
Ashton Schneider
I think going over the many reading strategies that were given to us today with my students from day 1 and posting them in my classroom will help immensely. I feel one of the real keys to helping students read is giving them a purpose and the many before, during, and after strategies will be a great tool in my classroom. Another great tool that I will implement into my instruction is the text set. I actually thought it was pretty cool all the different things they get to do covering one topic and giving them a choice will make them want to learn.
ReplyDeleteI think the resources that have been given to us this week are great. I feel like I have so many things in my arsenal to help my students. I am taking the CAR-PD class this summer and know that will be the cake topper to all that I have received this week.
Tifany B
I have a much better understanding of my role, in fact, responsibility in teaching reading skills and strategies. I will implement reading as a daily routine in one attempt to make reading more accessible.
ReplyDeleteFurther professional development planned for this summer includes CAR-PD and behavior management (I and II). I think I will be able to ask for specific professional development in reading after I have reflected on the information from this conference and also after implementing ideas in class.
LN Evans
I’m going to enhance my instructional practice in my lessons by maintaining a variety of good visual aids and continue using reading strategies. It is imperative to have at least one visual aide to help my students embrace meaningful connections with the text. In each lesson, I have tried my best to use more than two active reading strategies for my students, because it is my goal to cater to more than one learning style. I will not stop producing flexible ways to utilize the 3 essential reading habits. The strategies offered in class today, which were creating a text set, sketch to stretch, and the strategy used for the poem, Forgive My Guilt, have given me more tools to help my students connect to the text.
ReplyDeleteNow with professional development, when it comes to using technology in my lessons, I have used the LCD projector, the overhead projector, the computers, and the doc cam and of course, the T.V./Documentaries to implement technology in my lessons to support reading. But, I think, I still have a lot of room to grow in this area. So with that, for my professional development, I want to become more tech savvy. In order to accomplish this goal, I need to take technology courses.
I am definitely going to use video clips, pictures, and songs to help engage students and activate their background knowledge for whatever passages/poems we will be reading. I want to make each reading "memorable" and "meaningful" by tapping into the students' emotions/humor.
ReplyDeleteCurious to know what a "tea party" in reading is.
Megan Crowe
There is no doubt the texts set reference you handed out is the best tool for the changes I want to implement for differentiated instruction. I will take the texts sets offered and design lesson plans focusing on my classes three types of learners and their strengths for comprehension and enrichment. This was a real eye opener to have these tools that make it so much easier to facilitate lesson design and planning.
ReplyDeleteI would like more training on how to better assess reading strategy use and how effective they are to keep my classes fluid and more interesting.
Michael Aiken
I agree that allowing for more student choice is a great idea for motivating students and helping them engage in text. I do this in my classroom already with choice boards for responding to independent reading, but I think I can think of more creative ways to allow for choice in a wider variety of activities. I'm excited to try this through text sets.
ReplyDeleteI think just allowing time for collaborative lesson planning is what I need more than any formal trainings. Refresher courses in these areas throughout the year would definitely be helpful.
Rebecca
For me to change the way that I will teach these strategies, I feel that I must give my students a choice. With the text strutures, it was a good way for me to set guidelines and expectations for the activity while making my students feel like they had the power to determine how they were going to approach and master the content they were given. Also, since I am a visual learner, making sure that I have these strategies posted in my classroom and have examples for students to follow and use as a guided tool will help.
ReplyDeleteThese last three days have been extremely helpful in how I will approach literacy next year. Like Mr. Black said, no one has ever taught us how to teach reading. Now that we have been given some of the tools, it will not be as difficult of a task as we once had made it seem. Also with the CAR-PD course I'm taking this summer, I hope that these strategies will be reinforced. I also want to make the attempt to use my English/Reading teachers more as a resource. None of these strategies can work to their full potential if everyone is not on the same page.
-Joe Evans
After this conference, I realize that I want to implement many more strategies into my classroom on a daily basis. I intend to do daily reading with my standard students-- 15 minutes at the beginning of every class. I want to incorporate more scaffolded lessons into the work period, such as those demonstrated by Sandy D. I think that working across disciplines is also a good idea-- if we could build lessons that take the kids from one class to another and from one classroom to another, using the same reading techniques, I think that would be really effective with our kids.
ReplyDeleteI also need to develop my own way of following the essential reading habits, so that they will come more naturally to me when working with my students.
I'd like more work with AP level interaction with a text so that I will be better able to build my 10th graders towards that.