Today's lessons and activities regarding vocabulary served to reinforce my perspective that increasing a student's vocabulary only enhances and improves their learning and their lives. While my practices for teaching vocabulary will not change drastically, there were numerous acquisition, checks for understanding, review, and assessment tools that can easily be added to my classroom repertoire. Most importantly, I will consciously monitor the number of times that a student is exposed to and has experience with major conceptual vocabulary in order to encourage lasting acquisition.
Along with today's Literacy Vocabulary Workshop and the Reading Comp 2 class I finished two weeks ago, my thoughts on teaching vocabulary have changed drastically. Being introduced to many new strategies like Vobackulary, Sematic Analysis Grid, word builder and ability to use games like Catch Phrase, Apples to Apples, and Jeopardy in my classroom makes me excited for next year.
My perspective of vocabulary instruction has changed because we were able to take part in fun, interactive vocabulary instruction today. I think that we are always looking for new ways to incorporate vocabulary instruction in our classroom, and most of the time it seems like it couldn't be enjoyable. I think that having the coaches model some vocabulary instruction for us helped us realize how fun we can make it. Today really got me excited for next year as I know I will be doing vo-back-ulary, and will also create my own "catch phrase" game with my specific content vocabulary. There are many instruction items that I currently use, but I think that adding these two to my arsenal will be very beneficial and I think that the students will enjoy it...which is half the battle!
I was mostly reminded of how crucial instruction in this area is, especially after learning the associated statistics. I will definitely incorporate word games/activities covered today into my lessons next year. I enjoyed using the clickers and playing Catch Phrase and Vo-Back-ulary. They will be great ways to engage students and get them thinking/talking about words.
The toughest component of vocabulary instruction is keeping it fresh and interesting. New techniques are always appreciated. Now that we have these great ideas such as vo-back-ulary, catch(a)phrase, and vocabulary continuum the challenge is to make sure we are using them and avoid sliding back into our old ways. Keeping each other accountable and creating an open dialogue about what we are doing is crucial to stay motivated when the weight of the school year starts to weigh on our shoulders.
Today's lessons really reminded me how crucial vocabulary acquistion is to our students. I was definitely tired of my KFC instruction by the end of the year, and was toying with the idea of going back to my "old school" way of teaching vocabulary (even though "teaching" shouldn't really be used there). I figured if it worked for me, it will work for my kids. I'm glad someone asked about this very thought and am so excited now to have new techniques and ideas to incorporate into my classroom. I definitely intend to use the Frayer model, the semantic mapping, and vo-back-ulary as part of my regular classroom routines.
Today’s class gave me clarity, on why students need to know more than the definition for any given vocabulary word. It is important to encourage students to think vocabulary is an essential personal asset. I need to provide my students with opportunities to apply vocabulary through meaningful and engaging activities. The classroom environment has to be student - centered and not teacher - centered to ensure that the students will take ownership over their learning. When students take responsibility over their learning, they are able to see the value of acquiring vocabulary and reading.
The different strategies and activities that were presented to us is what really changed my perspective on students learning vocabulary. Like Kate stated, I too was getting tired of my KFC instruction towards the end of the year. For me, being given more than one way to teach something, that can be a little overwhelming, is very motivating. When I saw the example of the Frayer Model, it was like education heaven opened up. That vocabulary strategy is perfect for a lot of the concepts in history. I definitely plan to use that as part of my instruction next year. Tifany B.
I was pleasantly surprised at the content of yesterday's conference regarding vocabulary instruction. Not only was it valuable as an introduction to new tools that are available to me as an instructor but it reinforced how much of a critical componenet vocabulary instruction is for reading comprehension and how it can be used in scaffolding leading to the utilization of several reading strategies such as underlining text and table of contents. The examples I received earlier today will be powerful tools helping my lesson plans to be more focused and surgical as a key to student understanding of new words and terms as steps to better reading comprehension.
Yesterday's instruction really struck a chord with me. I realize now the extent to which I was wrong in assuming my students would know (either from prior knowledge or instinctively) the meaning of the words I was using in my class. Ooops! I will employ the tools I learned yesterday and hopefully make my classes more meaningful and enjoyable.
TAS - Yesterday I relaized that this is indeed a team effort. Vocabulary is everything! We have to do a better job of sharing what we are doing for KFC. We must engage students in meaningful and productive activities. We must model reading habits and strategies. The effort in the room yesterday showed that literacy can be improved at First Coast. I will become an instructional leader in this effort. I plan to use electives to take ninth gradeers to the library. We must bring back library day. There is a book for everybody and a genre which they can enjoy. We msut do it together. The good news is it can be done!
I've realized the value of providing students with instructional activities which are both comprehensive and engaging enough to instill a broadly applicable understanding of vocabulary.
MZ Thoughout yesterday's activity and my comp 2 course that I have recently completed, I have come to understand the importance of explicit instruction in reference to vocabulary. Vocab is SUPER important in my class - mostly Tier 3 - but Teir 2 as well. Yesterday we discussed numerous ways to incooperate this into my classes next year and I can't wait to try them out. Lots of those techniques incooperate fun activities and ideas that get kids up and moving out of their seats - should be interesting and fun :-)
During the presentations yesterday the main idea I took away from it, was making sure that my students have a good vocabulary foundation in their educational tool belts. Growing up I feel that vocabulary was always present and being reinforced in my teacher's classrooms. Today I feel that student's don't fully understand how important vocabulary will be to them in the future. The main area that I want to focus on is using variety in the way I present vocabulary to my students. I do like the KFC tool, but it can't be the only way to use vocabulary in my classroom. Taking the ideas that we went over yesterday and putting them into practice daily in my classroom while bring back the passion for building a student's vocabulary that I feel might have been lost.
My persepective of vocabulary hasn't really changed, but I am definitely more excited than ever to be working with a great team to create more creative lessons. Rebecca Kaufmann
I am excited about the information I learned today. I am prepared for working with teachers next year and recognizing when teachers are using the strategies.
Science has a whole set of specific vocabulary. The fact that vocab and KFC were (and are) a school focus reinforced the need to learn new words. The students were familiar (when I arrived in January) with multiple processes and seemed to understand that word aquisition MUST be important if each class AND the Principal spoke about the words/roots. I found a natural lead in for introducing new vocabulary in science.
My perspective has widened through discussions on research and statistics about vocabulary.
I will definately incorporate many of the vocab aquisition strategies that we learned about and practiced. LN Evans
At 9:42 on this May morning the children's rooms are concentrating too. Like a tendril growing toward the sun, Ruth moves her book into a wedge of light that settles on the floor like a butterfly. She turns a page. Fred is immersed in magic, cool as a Black Angus belly-deep in a farm pond.
The only sounds: pages turning softly. This is the quietness of bottomland where you can hear only the young corn growing, where a little breeze stirs the blades and then breathes in again.
I mark my place. I listen like a farmer in the rows.
Today's lessons and activities regarding vocabulary served to reinforce my perspective that increasing a student's vocabulary only enhances and improves their learning and their lives. While my practices for teaching vocabulary will not change drastically, there were numerous acquisition, checks for understanding, review, and assessment tools that can easily be added to my classroom repertoire. Most importantly, I will consciously monitor the number of times that a student is exposed to and has experience with major conceptual vocabulary in order to encourage lasting acquisition.
ReplyDeleteAlong with today's Literacy Vocabulary Workshop and the Reading Comp 2 class I finished two weeks ago, my thoughts on teaching vocabulary have changed drastically. Being introduced to many new strategies like Vobackulary, Sematic Analysis Grid, word builder and ability to use games like Catch Phrase, Apples to Apples, and Jeopardy in my classroom makes me excited for next year.
ReplyDeleteMy perspective of vocabulary instruction has changed because we were able to take part in fun, interactive vocabulary instruction today. I think that we are always looking for new ways to incorporate vocabulary instruction in our classroom, and most of the time it seems like it couldn't be enjoyable. I think that having the coaches model some vocabulary instruction for us helped us realize how fun we can make it. Today really got me excited for next year as I know I will be doing vo-back-ulary, and will also create my own "catch phrase" game with my specific content vocabulary. There are many instruction items that I currently use, but I think that adding these two to my arsenal will be very beneficial and I think that the students will enjoy it...which is half the battle!
ReplyDeleteI was mostly reminded of how crucial instruction in this area is, especially after learning the associated statistics. I will definitely incorporate word games/activities covered today into my lessons next year. I enjoyed using the clickers and playing Catch Phrase and Vo-Back-ulary. They will be great ways to engage students and get them thinking/talking about words.
ReplyDeleteMegan
The toughest component of vocabulary instruction is keeping it fresh and interesting. New techniques are always appreciated. Now that we have these great ideas such as vo-back-ulary, catch(a)phrase, and vocabulary continuum the challenge is to make sure we are using them and avoid sliding back into our old ways. Keeping each other accountable and creating an open dialogue about what we are doing is crucial to stay motivated when the weight of the school year starts to weigh on our shoulders.
ReplyDeleteAshton Schneider
Today's lessons really reminded me how crucial vocabulary acquistion is to our students. I was definitely tired of my KFC instruction by the end of the year, and was toying with the idea of going back to my "old school" way of teaching vocabulary (even though "teaching" shouldn't really be used there). I figured if it worked for me, it will work for my kids. I'm glad someone asked about this very thought and am so excited now to have new techniques and ideas to incorporate into my classroom. I definitely intend to use the Frayer model, the semantic mapping, and vo-back-ulary as part of my regular classroom routines.
ReplyDeleteToday’s class gave me clarity, on why students need to know more than the definition for any given vocabulary word. It is important to encourage students to think vocabulary is an essential personal asset. I need to provide my students with opportunities to apply vocabulary through meaningful and engaging activities. The classroom environment has to be student - centered and not teacher - centered to ensure that the students will take ownership over their learning. When students take responsibility over their learning, they are able to see the value of acquiring vocabulary and reading.
ReplyDeleteThe different strategies and activities that were presented to us is what really changed my perspective on students learning vocabulary. Like Kate stated, I too was getting tired of my KFC instruction towards the end of the year. For me, being given more than one way to teach something, that can be a little overwhelming, is very motivating. When I saw the example of the Frayer Model, it was like education heaven opened up. That vocabulary strategy is perfect for a lot of the concepts in history. I definitely plan to use that as part of my instruction next year.
ReplyDeleteTifany B.
I was pleasantly surprised at the content of yesterday's conference regarding vocabulary instruction. Not only was it valuable as an introduction to new tools that are available to me as an instructor but it reinforced how much of a critical componenet vocabulary instruction is for reading comprehension and how it can be used in scaffolding leading to the utilization of several reading strategies such as underlining text and table of contents. The examples I received earlier today will be powerful tools helping my lesson plans to be more focused and surgical as a key to student understanding of new words and terms as steps to better reading comprehension.
ReplyDeleteMichael Aiken
Yesterday's instruction really struck a chord with me. I realize now the extent to which I was wrong in assuming my students would know (either from prior knowledge or instinctively) the meaning of the words I was using in my class. Ooops! I will employ the tools I learned yesterday and hopefully make my classes more meaningful and enjoyable.
ReplyDeleteTAS - Yesterday I relaized that this is indeed a team effort. Vocabulary is everything! We have to do a better job of sharing what we are doing for KFC. We must engage students in meaningful and productive activities. We must model reading habits and strategies. The effort in the room yesterday showed that literacy can be improved at First Coast. I will become an instructional leader in this effort. I plan to use electives to take ninth gradeers to the library. We must bring back library day. There is a book for everybody and a genre which they can enjoy. We msut do it together. The good news is it can be done!
ReplyDeleteI've realized the value of providing students with instructional activities which are both comprehensive and engaging enough to instill a broadly applicable understanding of vocabulary.
ReplyDeleteMZ
ReplyDeleteThoughout yesterday's activity and my comp 2 course that I have recently completed, I have come to understand the importance of explicit instruction in reference to vocabulary. Vocab is SUPER important in my class - mostly Tier 3 - but Teir 2 as well. Yesterday we discussed numerous ways to incooperate this into my classes next year and I can't wait to try them out. Lots of those techniques incooperate fun activities and ideas that get kids up and moving out of their seats - should be interesting and fun :-)
During the presentations yesterday the main idea I took away from it, was making sure that my students have a good vocabulary foundation in their educational tool belts. Growing up I feel that vocabulary was always present and being reinforced in my teacher's classrooms. Today I feel that student's don't fully understand how important vocabulary will be to them in the future. The main area that I want to focus on is using variety in the way I present vocabulary to my students. I do like the KFC tool, but it can't be the only way to use vocabulary in my classroom. Taking the ideas that we went over yesterday and putting them into practice daily in my classroom while bring back the passion for building a student's vocabulary that I feel might have been lost.
ReplyDeleteJoe Evans
Tracie W.~
ReplyDeleteHow has your perspective of vocabulary instruction changed?
It hasn't. I still believe vocabulay is important.
How will you change your vocabulary practice?
I will incorporate more of the strategies into my lessons.
My persepective of vocabulary hasn't really changed, but I am definitely more excited than ever to be working with a great team to create more creative lessons.
ReplyDeleteRebecca Kaufmann
N.M.
ReplyDeleteI will teach vocabulary with rigor and vigor! Keeping students engaged is so important;I appreciate the many activities presented in the workshop!
I am excited about the information I learned today. I am prepared for working with teachers next year and recognizing when teachers are using the strategies.
ReplyDeleteScience has a whole set of specific vocabulary. The fact that vocab and KFC were (and are) a school focus reinforced the need to learn new words. The students were familiar (when I arrived in January) with multiple processes and seemed to understand that word aquisition MUST be important if each class AND the Principal spoke about the words/roots. I found a natural lead in for introducing new vocabulary in science.
ReplyDeleteMy perspective has widened through discussions on research and statistics about vocabulary.
I will definately incorporate many of the vocab aquisition strategies that we learned about and practiced.
LN Evans